Friday, October 29, 2021

Duane Allman

Duane Allman died on October 29, 1971. He was 24 years old. It was a motorcycle accident. I was a 19 year old sailor at the time. It's hard to believe that was 50 years ago. Duane Allman was an incredible guitar player. I saw the Allman Brothers play at the Electric Factory in January 1970 about a month before I went to Navy boot camp. I was amazed at the guitar playing of Duane Allman. It still shocks me that he was dead within a year and so young. I saw the Allman Brothers one more time in 1973 but sadly without Duane. 

Today I listened to my copy of Duane Allman Anthology double album released in 1972 and the Anthology Vol. 2 released in 1974. It wasn't until I got these albums that I realized how often I was hearing Duane play as a session man on so many that I already owned or had heard on the radio. Now I knew about his working with Eric Clapton with Derek & The Dominoes and I had bought the Herbie Mann Push Push album because of Duane Allman's guitar playing. I knew he was that amazing guitar player on Boz Scaggs' Loan Me A Dime
but I didn't really know about his work with Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, B.B. King and Delaney & Bonnie. 

Well, I really enjoyed listening to his music today. Those two anthologies were both double CD sets.

No comments: