Tuesday, October 1, 2024

The Milago Beanfield War

Last night Becky and I stayed up a little late to watch the The Milago Beanfield War on TCM. We started watching at 9 pm and sat there through the entire movie. It is a classic great film. We first saw it shortly after it came out in 1988.

It really is a wonderful comedy-drama that holds up very well after all these years. It was directed by Robert Redford and has an amazing cast that includes Ruben Blades, John Heard, Melanie Griffiths, Christopher Walken, Daniel Stern, Sonia Braga and many others. Freddy Fender too. The landscape scenes of New Mexico were stunning and a very important aspect of the movie.


The film was based on the book with the same title by John Nichols that came out i 1974. I read it in April 1987 probably when I heard about the movie coming out.

I forgot that this book was the first in a trilogy about New Mexico. I feel like I should read The Milagro Beanfield War again and then read the following two books of the trilogy. John Nichols wrote quite a few other books including a non-fiction trilogy about New Mexico. He lived in Taos, New Mexico.


No comments: