Thursday, June 22, 2023

It's Only Life - Reflections FV

This is a mix I first put together in June of 2014 a couple of weeks after my brother Tom passed away. At the time I made it I described the mix as "pop songs of sad contemplation about life and death. Sometimes over the top and sometimes down in the depths."

When I made this mix I wasn't specifically putting it together thinking about Tom but he must have been in the back of my mind and it turned out that way. I was regularly making mixes as I had been for several decades. Making mixes was how I relaxed and I put a new one together almost every week. This was the mix that came out of my period of grieving and these songs were of that time as they came together. They were not songs that reminded me of Tom or even songs that he would have been listening to himself. He would not have picked them out to play.

These were songs about me in June 2014 that reflected how I felt about losing my brother and they were songs that sounded good together. They created a mood and certain feelings in the listener... me. 

The songs on this mix and their sequence would now forever make me think of Tom every time I played it. I would tear up and remember our lives together. We were very different but the same in so many other ways as two boys ten months apart in age. We would always be intertwined and listening to the CD of this mix and later streaming it on Spotify or on my iPod would always make me think of Tom. I guess this mix could be experienced as sad and depressing, a downer mix or maybe it's just me and reflections of my time of grief. An hour and a half mix as usual.

It’s Only Life - Reflections FV

  1. It’s Only Life – The Shins, 2012
  2. He Doesn't Know Why - Fleet Foxes, 2008
  3. Two Weeks – Grizzly Bear, 2009
  4. In This World – Moby, 2006
  5. Lost Cause – Beck, 2007
  6. No Surprises – Radiohead, 2008
  7. In My Place – Coldplay, 2002
  8. Turn – Travis, 1999
  9. Bitter Sweet Symphony – The Verve, 1997
  10. Lightning Crashes – Live, 1994
  11. Everybody Hurts – R.E.M., 1992
  12. Hallelujah – Leonard Cohen, 1995
  13. Building A Mystery – Sarah McLachlan, 1997
  14. With Or Without You – U2, 1998
  15. No Distance Left To Run – Blur, 1999
  16. Do You Realize? – The Flaming Lips, 2002
  17. Trying To Get To Heaven – Bob Dylan, 1997
  18. Keep Me In Your Heart – Warren Zevon, 1997
  19. Hurt – Johnny Cash, 2002
  20. Holocaust – Son Volt, 2005
  21. These Days – Glen Campbell, 2012


No comments: