Monday, April 18, 2022

Good Friday

It was Good Friday. We were always told growing up that you had to eat fish on Good Friday so I ordered Catfish Tacos. Well, nice thought but I wasn't thinking about Catholic traditions when I ate that fish. It was just a Friday night out having dinner and beers with my wife, my brother, my sister and her husband. At the dinner table I brought up the old family tradition of not talking during the three hours that Christ was dying on the cross. Yep, a three hour moment of silence when we were kids. I remember we were always trying new ways to break the silence.

Then I was in the church choir. Those three hours were then spent singing Gregorian chants and slow sad dirges in church. Then there was the Stations of the Cross. I sang for that too on Good Friday. Of course all of Holy Week was full of singing in church for me. It started on Palm Sunday and the mass on Holy Thursday. After the Good Friday services there were several hours of chanting on Holy Saturday. The highlight of the week was then the Easter Sunday high mass and services. None of this would have happened without the events of Good Friday.

No comments: