Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Uninhabitable Earth

 

The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming by David Wallace-Wells, 2919

Read in June 2019.

The other day I was reading this book and getting upset about climate change while my granddaughter was sleeping in my lap. I was thinking about how this would affect her life in the decades ahead. Then I had an image of an older Clara around the turn of the next century explaining the climate disaster to her grandchildren and how things were different when she was a child. Suddenly I looked down at her and she was smiling up at me with that twinkle in her eyes. I felt better. She will be an activist.

This was a very scary book and everything I've heard or read about global climate change did not prepare me for the catastrophe to come. It is also dependent on this generation to make something happen and to literally save the world. It was also well written and researched. He very carefully explained how different parts of the world will be impacted differently and focused on the political ramifications of climate change. Very challenging. 

No comments: