Saturday, July 28, 2018

Never a Dull Moment 1971

1971 - Never a Dull Moment: Rock's Golden Year by David Hepworth, 2016

Read this book in July 2018.

This was a good book not only documenting the music of 1971 but also the times and social influences but also from a British perspective.  I agree that it was an explosive year for rock music but it certainly wasn't the greatest year in rock in my opinion. A lot happened in the music world and there were an extraordinary amount of good albums released in 1971. Here is a list of my favorite 60 albums from 1971 in my personal collection that I put together in 2011. This book isn't a book of lists but rather a collection of stories about the music of the time and it is also very interesting and fascinating with a chapter dedicated to each month of the year. It did have a very cool bibliography and there were some collections of official monthly playlists.

I wrote about the music of 1971 in general in that earlier post and specifically about what I was doing at that time. I was 20 years old for most of 1971 and I also spent most of the year overseas cruising around the world on the USS Portland. We didn't get to hear the latest music very much. Some guys bought some cassettes before we left the States but for the most part we were out of touch with the happening music while cruising. Sometimes someone would get a package with some music in it but not very often.

I had some very significant gaps in my music during the last three years I was living about Navy ships and mostly overseas. I had huge gaps in my knowledge of top 40 radio and didn't get to hear many of the early 70's brainwash songs. I don't think I bought any albums in 1971 and probably not 1972 either. I got out of the Navy in December 1973 and went on an album buying binge that lasted at least a decade.k I had a lot of catching up to do too.

So after reading this book I don't think I subsequently missed anything important except I didn't see any live music (in the USA) that year. I did see a lot of music in the Caribbean islands and saw some of my first reggae bands.



No comments: