Monday, January 29, 2018

Enduring Vietnam

 

Enduring Vietnam: An American Generation and Its War by James Edward Wright, 2017

Read in January 2018

The Vietnam War was a defining experience of my generation and a national trauma. This is the most recent book about the war that I've read and I have read quite a few of them. This is the first one that focused on almost exclusively on how the war effected the young people at the time and created a profile of a generation. Me included. The book resonated with me and as I was reading it I was remembering the many times I was hanging out as a teenager on a street corner listening to the stories of 'Nam from someone in the neighborhood recently returned from the war. Those conversations certainly had an influence on me when I enlisted in the Navy a year or so later.

The book describes growing up in the 1950's, what it was like to go into the military, or get drafted, to serve in 'Nam and to go home again. The books gives accounts of those who fought the war and how they were treated when they came home.



No comments: