Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Vinyl Spins - The Fugs

Gave this a spin today. I got this record when I was 15 and thought it was going to be a big hit... you know Kill For Peace, Group Grope and all that stuff. No hits. Satirical scatological anti-war poets gone amok. I wasn't always just paying attention to top 40 radio as a young teenager.

This was their second album. I first really started hearing a lot about these guys in 1968. I went to our neighborhood record store/head shop looking for their new album titled It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest but the clerk handed me this instead and said it was a better record. He turned out to be right and The Fugs is considered a classic of underground rock. Kill For Peace indeed. Still no hits.

Several months later I got to see them at an outdoor hippie be-in show in Fairmount Park and wasn't impressed.

1 comment:

Bill said...

They're all hits!