Friday, March 20, 2015

Word Virus

Word Virus: The William S. Burroughs Reader by William S. Burroughs, Ira Silverberg (Editor), James Grauerholz (Editor), 1998.

Read this in March 2015

Great name for a book. It took me several months to get through this collection. Fortunately I still have the six month staff borrowing privileges as a retiree from the library. According to my Good Reads entry I started this book in July 2014 and finished it in March 2015. I remember that long experience very well.

This book explored the life and works of the tortured soul of a postmodern beat writer with a major influence on popular culture and literature. The structure of the book included excerpts from his writings at various times in his life and other sections were analysis of his work. There were also several biographical essays of his life. Overall the book read like a biography that included his writings for emphasis. 

After reading this book I had to play Hawkwind's Orgone Accumulator.

No comments: