Thursday, December 12, 2013

Watching TV 1965

Here is a page from a television guide printed in 1965. I was 14 in 1965 and watching a lot of these shows.


It was hard to watch the shows you wanted with a big family. My parents, six kids and two great-grandparents. I think they were probably out of the house and in the nursing home around that time but in the previous years certainly had an impact as to what was on TV like watching Lawrence Welk and Ed Sullivan.

It was also around this time we got our first color TV and also a second television set in my parents room. That was a big improvement. So the shows I watched?

  • Saturday - Flipper, I Dream of Jeanie, Get Smart and Gunsmoke if I didn't like what was on Saturday Night at the Movies.
  • Sunday - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The FBI and Bonanza
  • Monday - not a big night for me. Maybe 12 O'Clock High
  • Tuesday - Combat, McHale's Navy, The Fugitive
  • Wednesday - Lost in Space, Beverly Hillbillies, Dick Van Dyke, I Spy
  • Thursday - The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, My Three Sons, Bewitched
  • Friday - Wild Wild West, Addams Family, Gomer Pyle, Smothers Brothers, The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
That would be ideal if i was around but there was always negotiations with other in the family. For instance Betsy always wanted to watch doctor shows. In a couple of years I would hardly watch any television for many years afterwards.

No comments: