Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Books Bites & Banter

This evening I went to the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library Happy Hour at Big Ditch Brewing. The cost of attending the event included two beers and some food. I already had dinner but I did enjoy a couple of their brews. First a Natural Blonde Belgium-Style Blonde Ale and then an Excavator Rye Brown Ale. Both were delicious.

I met several librarians I had worked with thirty some years ago. We had a great time talking about old times and also about the current conditions at the library.  One of the strangest and funniest moments happened when I first arrived there and was checking in and buying my ticket. The person at the desk, a current BECPL librarian, asked if I was a retired BECPL librarian. I replied no and that I was a retired librarian from Canisius College but had worked at the BECPL in the early to mid 90's. I had found some of my BECPL work cards recently while going through some old boxes upstairs and pulled one out of my pocket. She read my name and exclaimed that she knew who I was and that I was a legend. I was the person who started technology in the library for the librarians and the patrons. 

I spend an hour and a half with these folks and had a wonderful time. There is another 60th building anniversary at the library on Friday at 3 pm and several people asked if I was going to be there. They all wanted me to come. There were also a couple of people who were running the event that took my picture. I wonder where they will turn up. 

No comments: