Wednesday, July 7, 2021

20 Years

I was 20 years old when I realized I would have a short life. My father died when I was 19 and it took a little while for what happened to sink in. That he died young from a ruptured aneurysm just like his brother and father. The doctors all said that the deaths were a coincidence but I certainly never believed that. I even told Becky back when we first started having a serious relationship that I didn't expect to live past my 40's. So nearly 20 years after my father died I convinced a doctor to have me tested for aneurysms. That probably saved my life and at age 37 I had brain surgery to clip one aneurysm and have had 22 other brain scans over the years to monitor three others. One of which was found in the original angiogram scan and the doctors indicated that the location made it non life threatening because if it ruptured or leaked the blood would drain in the sinus area behind my eyes instead of into my brain. I would survive but probably be blind. Yikes. So they decided to monitor that aneurysm with a brain scan every two years. They eventually found two more much smaller ones.

Right now I'm approaching 70 and have lived over 20 years longer than my father. I have had the opportunity to enjoy grandchildren and watch them grow. That is something my father and grandfathers never had a chance to do.

Two of my father's brothers that did not have aneurysms have lived into their 90's. Uncle Ed to 91 and Uncle Jack at 91 now is still going strong. Aunt Kate is 90. So now I'm thinking maybe if I take care of myself I can live another 20 years and make it into my 90's.

Aside from some getting old aches and pains I fortunately don't have any chronic illness. I knock on wood all the time when I go to the doctors for checkups and see all the really struggling people around me getting treatments for so many different things. I know many neighbors, friends and family members with serious illnesses and I feel lucky and also fortunate that Becky and I try to take care of ourselves. Even little things like taking a walk around the neighborhood every day and eating good.

I want to see those grandchildren grow up some more.

No comments: