Monday, July 13, 2026

1967: How I Got There and Why I Never Left - A Memoir

1967: How I Got There and Why I Never Left - Robyn Hitchcock, 2024. I really enjoyed this wonderful biographical memoir and I liked how he concentrated his writings on one particular influential year of his youth... 1967. Robyn Hitchcock has been one of my favorite recording artist for many years. I discovered him in 1980 when he was with the band The Soft Boys and they released their album Underwater Moonlight. I closely followed his solo career from 1981 on and have collected most of his albums over the years.

I liked how he wrote about the year 1967 and the influence of the music and artists of that year on his own career. He describes his listening experience with Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited and The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. He was 14 at the time. In 1967 I was 15. I shared the exposure to music of that year. I started buying albums in late 1966 and got a few in 1967. The following year in 1968 I was 16 and working at a machine shop to make money to buy albums and go to concerts. By that time I was hanging out in neighborhood record stores and head shops. Joined Columbia Record Club too.

So I've been recently listening to a lot of albums in my collection released in 1967 and also many of my mixes of music from that year. I've also been listening to a lot of Robyn Hitchcock albums.

Katie got me this book for Christmas and it sat around for a few months. I read so many books from the library that I take my time with books that are actually here in my house for me to take my time with. I have been reading this book little by little over the past several months but finally concentrated on it when I took it with me on vacation to the Adirondacks. Then I buzzed through it.

No comments: