Thursday, May 26, 2022

Vinegar Joe 1972

In 1972 I was in a record store in downtown Philly while home on leave after returning from a six month Med cruise. There was an album playing and some people talking about it. Now of course this was a very common occurrence back in the days when hanging out in a record store was a great place to hear new music and find out about new bands. These guys were excited about this new blues rock band from London and their great woman singer. The name of the band I found out was Vinegar Joe. 

I bought a copy of the album Vinegar Joe which was released in 1972. In early 1973 I bought their second album Rock 'n Roll Gypsies that was released in late 1972. They broke up a year later.

They had two lead singers, male and female, and both went on to successful solo careers. Elkie Brooks and Robert Palmer. I played their first album a lot during the 70's but the second one not so much. I now occasionally will go upstairs and spin that vinyl of Vinegar Joe. I somehow never scanned that album into my iTunes or on the hard drive.

No comments: