Saturday, November 13, 2021

The Stationary Bike

I've been riding the stationary bike a lot lately. Almost everyday. Usually for twenty minutes to a half hour. I've done it off and on over the years but this past year or so I've been more focused. Especially the past few months.

When riding the bike I am multitasking too. I always ride with music on. I have headphones and my iPod. I also have a tablet with me and will often be reading an e-book while listening to the music and riding away.

I get very restless at bedtime and sometimes it takes a long time to get to sleep. Often I do go to sleep right away but an hour or so later I wake up and then it's hard to get back to sleep without a lot of thrashing around. When that happens I wake Becky up and cause her to have sleep problems. I will often go into our guest room and sleep there where I can wiggle and move my legs around.

Riding the bike in the evening helps me sleep better and I get some extra exercise. Becky and I do walk a couple of miles most days but days when the weather is bad riding the bike is more important to me.

We've had this bike for decades. It was originally used by Jim, Becky's dad, when he was recovering from a heart attack in the early 1970's so the bike is close to 50 years old. I think we got the bike from Jim in the 80's but I'll need to ask Becky to be sure. Some of the features like the speedometer and the timer no longer work but I really don't need or use those things and just want to ride for a certain amount of time.

The bike is in our basement near our laundry stuff. I actually enjoy going down there to get some exercise and listen to music... loud.

No comments: