Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Bridgets

Today is Saint Patrick's Day. The other patron saint of Ireland… Saint Bridget of Kildare. No parties or parades for her but I wanted to celebrate the Bridgets in my family on this Irish holiday.

My maternal great-grandmother Bridget McDevitt Keegan raised her family around the corner from where I grew up. Becky and I lived in that same house during the 70’s, we slept in her old bed and we still use her chest of drawers today in our bedroom. She and my great-grandfather Thomas Keegan moved into that house in 1909. The house was built in 1876. 

On my father’s side I have several great-great-grandmothers named after that saint and all born in Ireland. All named Bridget.

Granny who I remember living down on Greene Street with Nana Emery was our grandfather's mother Teresa Maguire Emery. She passed away in 1955. Her grandmother on her mother's side was Bridget Loftus Maguire born in Ireland in 1825 and died in 1909. She was my Great-Great-Great Grandmother.

My father's mother was Katherine Galvin Emery. Her grandmother on her father's side was Bridget O'Rourke Galvin born in Ireland. Her grandmother on her mother's side was Bridget Dunn Finley also born in Ireland. They were both my Great-Great Grandmothers.


No comments: