Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Mix Making History Pt. 2

Continued from the Side A / Side B Facebook group...

My mix history pt. 2. So by the end of the 80’s I was an obsessive mix maker with hundreds of mixtapes on the shelf but I was also very much into CDs by that time partly because we now had little kids running around the house making my records skip. I had also spent several months recovering from a brain aneurysm and decided to go to grad school to see if my noggin was still functioning. I had worked with personal computers since the early 80’s and decided to specialize in computers within the library science master’s degree. I was fortunate to get a grad assistantship at the university running the department computer lab while going to school full time and two years later at graduation I had a position as a computer support librarian at the downtown central public library. By 1994 I was working on a project that included using an early CD-ROM burner for creating disc of archival materials. I also had a workstation at home and was soon burning CD mixes. It was a slightly more complicated process because of the lack of adequate memory in those mid 90’s PCs but I soon needed to buy more CD shelves for my mixes and I also burned a lot of record albums to CD. Making mixes continued to be way of relaxing after working all day and then getting the kids to bed. I’ll save the 2000’s and beyond for Pt. 3.


I should add that there are two other similar sized book shelves full of my CD mixes plus a smaller one filled with mixes traded from AotMers. There are several boxes of cassette mixes like in the group banner picture. All my mixes are listed by song/artist/year/album in a spreadsheet/word document. They also reside as playlist on my iTunes, iPod and a couple of portable drives. Some have been migrated to Spotify. I used to have mixes posted to Mixcloud but that's another story.

Someone commented on my mix organization which I responded with so, are my mixes so organized because I'm a librarian or did I become a librarian to organize my mixes?

No comments: