Friday, September 11, 2020

Good Vibrations

 

The Beach Boys

This is a copy of some comments I made concerning a post by a friend declaring The Beach Boys as the greatest of all American bands. 

I’ve loved the Beach Boys for a long time and saw them perform in 1966, 1968, 1969 and 1970. Also much later as a washed up oldies band at minor league baseball games. In their 10 year prime they were one of the most influential American bands out there making music but I’d hesitate to call them the greatest of all time. That being said I have all of their studio albums between 1962 and 1973, their comeback album from 2012, a couple of live albums, several compilation albums, the Pet Sounds box set, the Smile Sessions box set, the Made in California box set and a few of the later Brian Wilson solos albums. I also recently read the Brian Wilson memoir. I could certainly discuss the Beach Boys all night or better yet play all their music in my collection.

I was recently in a heavy Beach Boys discussion with some friends which motivated me to put together a long mix of Beach Boys and the bands they influenced, homage songs, cover songs and songs about the California beach scene some Beach Boys fun. I put it together last week and just posted it to Spotify here... so enjoy.

Good Vibrations: A Brian Wilsonesque Playlist


No comments: