Friday, April 17, 2020

Vinyl Spins - Sly & Stand

Vinyl Spins: Sly & The Family Stone - Stand, 1969 

Just gave this a spin too. One of my favorite live bands. I saw Sly twice during the summer of 1969 right after this record came out and of course I bought it right away. A great album.

I only had their single Dance To The Music before this. I remember buying that single like it was yesterday. I was browsing albums in one of our neighborhood record stores in Philly and overheard the clerk excitedly telling some other regulars about a new single they just received the day before so I know it was November 1967. It would take a while but eventually the song became a top 10 hit in 1968. He started playing the record and everybody in the store looked up. Then suddenly all the kids were dancing in the aisles. Everybody in the store, including me, bought a copy of the single.

No comments: