Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Time Machine - B & M

The book and the movie

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, 1895.

The film of the novel was made in 1960.

This is the first film I'm posting that explores our childhood experience going to Saturday matinees at a neighborhood theater. Most of these movies in this series I saw with family and friends on Saturday afternoons throughout the year. Occasionally as we got a little older we would go downtown to one of the big theaters for a special presentation of some new blockbuster or walk the extra few blocks up the avenue to the Orpheum Theater but most of the time we walked the couple of blocks from our house to the New Lyric Theater.

I loved this movie as a kid even though it had a grim view of the future and those morlocks living underground scared me. I still remember everything about but of course I saw it again a few more times. I thought it was cool that he brought some books with  him to take back to the future and like the character in the movie I wondered what books he took. This film cemented my love of science fiction. I was 9 when I saw this.

The movie was also directed by George Pal who was one of my favorite directors back in the day. As a kid I knew his name and knew I would like any movie he was involved in. Pal had also made Wells' War of the World into a movie.


I read this novel in the fall of 1970. I read several of Wells' novels on a Navy base waiting for orders to my next duty station. There was a little library on the base with a row of his novels on the shelf. 

H. G. Wells has been one of my all time favorite authors.

No comments: