Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Rock

Passing through the Straits of Gibraltar or as they called it in the movies I loved as a kid… the Pillars of Hercules. Off in the distance you can see the Rock. I only had a few minutes up on deck as the ship approached Gibraltar before I had to get back to manning my station down in the engineroom. I eventually did get the see the Rock up close and it was very impressive.

I was always fascinated by the fact that there were monkeys all over the Rock. Couldn't see any from where I was.
 
I did spend some time at the naval base in Rota Spain on the Atlantic coast and had liberty at the nearby city of Cadiz. We also had port calls at Ibiza, Palma and Port Mahon in the Spanish islands. 

Several months later in the cruise we would spend two weeks in Barcelona but that's another post.

No comments: