Sunday, April 2, 2023

Strongmen

Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present by Ruth Ben-Ghiat , 2020

I was watching CNN a few days ago and there was an interview being conducted with the author of this book who is an historian and political commentator for The Atlantic, The Washington Post and for CNN. She was promoting this book and I quickly looked up the book on my tablet and saw that it was available from the library. I borrowed it. Within a day or so I had notices that people were waiting in line for the book.

I read the book in about a week. It was a fascinating study of what modern authoritarian demagogue dictators had in common. She described the experiences of Mussolini, Franco, Gadafi, Pinochet, Mobutu, Berlusconi, Putin, Hitler and of course Trump. Every chapter ended with her applying all the terrible deeds and situations of the authoritarian rulers to the American experience of Trump and what he was trying to do to our nation in his attempt to maintain power.

No comments: