Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Porch Painting

This past winter was rough on our porches. Both front and back. The front steps were especially bad because of a roof leak that had recently dripped water directly on the steps and caused the paint to chip away. The roof was fixed in early spring and I needed to get a coat of paint on the steps along with the rest of the porch. 

The back porch was almost as bad and there was large areas of peeling paint. I couldn't get to either project as the spring advanced toward summer and then I was sick for several weeks and did not have a lot of energy. Then towards the end of June I got going. I spent a day scrapping and then priming the front porch steps. I would leave the rest of the porch for later. I really wanted to get the really bad sections done first. 

Meanwhile Becky went to Home Depot and picked up a gallon of blue paint for the front porch and a gallon of green paint for the back porch. I had some old primer that I was able to use for both the front and back. 

Over the course of a couple of days I painted the front porch steps with two coats of paint. The steps look really good. When we get back from our vacation in the Adirondacks with the kids I will finish the front porch. I'll break it up into a couple of sections and get that done. There is also some repair work to do on the wood on either end that will take a little more effort and take some time.


After scrapping and priming the back porch I put a couple of coats of paint down. It looks good. I mainly concentrated on the floor boards and some of the railings. I didn't put fresh paint on every surface because it didn't really need it everywhere. The porch also gets roughed up very quickly every year and needs some painting touch up every other year or so. Doing the back porch was also always a problem because of all of the tree debris that comes down in the spring and into the summer. Even now in early July it still drops stuff everyday and would land all over any wet paint. It also rained a few days that kept me from putting down one coat or another. 

Well, the back porch is done now and looking good. 

No comments: