Thursday, June 23, 2022

Porch Steps Painting Music

This evening I put some primer paint on our front porch steps. I waited until later in the day because it was a little too hot in the sun to comfortably work and why not. I had my portable speaker out there with me playing music from a flash drive. I had loaded a bunch of mixes and I had just been letting it play. These mixes were single file mixes that I had once uploaded to MixCloud. 

I started out with an old covers mix titled There She Goes Again and was part of my old Happy Hour series. The file name was happyhour7. When that file finished the next up was ladiesnight3 and a mix titled Dissolved Girl. I was playing the music fairly loud but not overly so or so I thought.

A neighbor from across the street appeared in my driveway to ask me about the music. I immediately apologized for playing the music too loud but she was adamant that it wasn't a problem. She said she was sitting on the porch reading and could faintly hear the music and loved every song. She exclaimed that it was the best series of songs put together that she had ever heard outside of something she would put on herself. She said she knew and loved every song and it was music she listened to when she was a young person. She came over to compliment me on the music and tell me how much she was enjoying it. We then talked about music, my dj days and the local music scene. She brought up going to the Continental. The Ladies Night mix was mostly songs from the 90's. She then went back across the street and I went back to my painting.

A few minutes later I heard a big fuss from some teenage girls coming down the street. They were yelling and making lots of noise but I couldn't see them because of the hedge. When they came directly in front of the house I saw that it was three teenage girls dancing to my music. They saw me and smiled and one of them said "thank you for the songs" as I stood there with my paintbrush in hand. I smiled back. I then realized the song they were dancing too was Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know. That cracked me up. 

Becky had heard the fuss from the girls and came out on the porch as they passed by. We had a good laugh. 

No comments: