Wednesday, November 30, 2022

White Fear

White Fear: How the Browning of America is Making White Folks Lost Their Minds by Roland Martin and Leah Lakins, 2022

I read this book in five days. I couldn't put it down but at the same time I was angry and fearful of what America was, is and could be in the future. As an old white man I really do fear that we are still a racist nation even after all these years and the many failed attempts to embrace our fellow citizens regardless of race and background. 

A lot has happened and progress has been made in my lifetime but the racist republican party and their efforts to control the federal court system has been turning back the clock to our more bigoted past. They have the slogan "make America great again" but we all know what they mean by "great" and it is disgusting. During my lifetime there were white only water fountains, restaurants, etc. Lynching black people was a regular thing. Emmitt Till was murdered. Martin Luther King had a dream and was killed for it. The list goes on and on.

This book was just published in late September and the other day I saw the author Roland Martin being interviewed on CNN. While watching the segment I went on my Libby app and was able to download an e-book copy from BECPL. I got a copy and almost immediately a wait list formed behind me. I guess I wasn't the only one in town watching that show.

No comments: