Friday, April 22, 2022

Spring Cold

We had a really wonderful time in Philadelphia visiting with family. The weather was great up until the last few days when winter seemed to return. Then those last four days were marred somewhat with me getting a spring cold.

I first felt a tickle in my throat on Friday. Then we went out and had a few beers which didn't help. Whatever bug that got my sick I had before we went out that night so it wasn't something I picked up in a bar or restaurant but the next day I knew I had a bad cold.

For the past two years we have been living in a pandemic bubble for most of the time. Becky and I had not been in crowds and most of the time we went out for dinner it would be at an outside patio or a spacious restaurant with access to open air. We have spent time with family both here in Buffalo and in Philadelphia, Glenville and Long Lake. Mostly it wasn't cold season. This time was different. We had some very warm weather in Philly that suddenly went cold. My immune system was probably not working as usual because of the lack of exposure over the past two years. I got sick.

Being around kids in daycare and school probably didn't help. I remember all the times I got sick from something brought home by the kids from their schools and daycare centers. Then later from both of us working on college campuses with students.

The worst part of getting sick this time was not being able to hold that little baby Violet. We had bonded so much over the first few days that it really hurt not to be able to hold her those last few days. I really missed that but it was important not to take chances with that little one.

Becky was great in going out and getting me cold medicine. It was not a very severe cold but annoying. Then we stayed an extra day because of the weather and not wanting to travel across New York State in a snowstorm. The next day was wonderful weather and we had a nice trip home although I was still sick with the spring cold.

It felt very good to lay down and sleep after we got home. I went to bed early and very tired from driving and not feeling well. I was taking medicine and trying to take care of myself. It was cold in Buffalo so I wasn't going outside. I just wanted to get over this illness. I'm still feeling it but slowly getting better.

We are looking forward to some warm weather here in a couple of days.

No comments: