Monday, April 4, 2022

My Piano Duet

I was watching some piano concert videos on YouTube and I had a sudden flashback memory of my one time piano duet at a school concert recital back when I was probably around ten years old or maybe eight. It was in the Saint Francis of Assisi School auditorium and I was up on stage with another kid playing a duet. I don't remember his name and I don't remember what we were playing. It's like I blocked it out. 

We had done a lot of practicing together at school in preparation for the concert. The nun who was our piano teacher thought we were ready but things went very wrong right away. We both soon lost our place in the music. I remember frantically asking him "where are we" in the sheet music and he whispered "I don't know". We must have sounded awful just sitting there banging away at the keys. It all finally somehow came to an end. We got up and took a bow to some polite applause and then slinked off the stage. I continued to play piano and take lessons into my teenage years but I never again attempted to play a duet with someone on a stage.

No comments: