Saturday, April 2, 2022

Sick - No Show

Yesterday, Friday April 1, Becky and I were invited to attend a morning concert by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra by Barbara and Brian Baird. They are supporters of the Orchestra and always have concert tickets. They have taken us to shows before and it has always been very nice. They have great seats in the first row of the balcony. The plan this time was to pick us up a little before ten, get down to the music hall for their spread of donuts, attend the concert and then go somewhere for lunch. There was a wonderful program set for the concert including a Schumann concerto for cello. I was very excited and looking forward to seeing this concert.

Unfortunately yesterday morning I woke up feeling sick. I knew immediately that there was a problem and it didn't go away. Nausea, fatigue, intestinal distress, light-headedness. It felt like that pesky 24 hour virus again. I had a little bit of breakfast but the symptoms remained and I told Becky about my issues about an hour before we were to leave. She immediately stated that I should stay home and that it would not be good for me to go there and spread germs. I also would not enjoy myself. I had already gone to the bathroom twice and my bowels felt like they would need to go at anytime. I would end up going two more times that morning. I really couldn't see myself sitting there for a couple of hours. I stayed home.

Becky enjoyed the concert very much and knew that I would have too. I do like a good cello very much. I went back to bed after she left and stayed there until almost two o'clock in the afternoon when she returned. The concert performances were very long. The program started off with one short piece and then the long concerto for cello. There was an intermission and then another hour long Franck symphony after that.

They all went to lunch following the concert. Usually we would go with them to The Place after a concert but they thought it would be crowded and tight in there as it is a relatively small restaurant. They decided to go over to Saigon Cafe on Elmwood. After a difficult time finding a parking space they discovered the the restaurant was closed for lunch. Then they decided to go to Cole's, drove down there, parked and walked over to it to see it closed for lunch too. Barbara suggested they go across the street to Pano's but was surprised to hear from Becky that it has been closed for a couple of years. They then decided to drive over to Hertel Avenue and eventually had lunch at Kosta's. 

In the meantime I slept for about two hours. I felt a little better when I got up but still not right. By late afternoon I was feeling somewhat normal but still went to bed early last night. Today I feel fine again. I should listen to some cello music now.

No comments: