Sunday, December 22, 2019

All Hopped Up

 

The Book List

All Hopped Up and Ready to Go: Music from the Streets of New York 1927-77 by Tony Flectcher, 2009

Read in December 2019

I loved this book.  A history of New York's music scene over five decades and a fascinating look at how the local art, theater, literature and political movements came together to create the unique music environment and made vast contributions to American culture. The author tours the various neighborhoods of New York as he explores the distinctive sounds from the streets that created bebop, pop, doowop, the Latin music scene, the folk revival, glam, metal, punk, disco, New Wave, No Wave, and hip-hop. 

I explored a lot of this music from my own collection and on Spotify as I read through this book. It was mostly the Latin music I needed help with streaming and most of the hip-hop.

No comments: