Thursday, November 28, 2019

Watching TV in the 70's

I did not have the usual American TV experience in the 1970's. Of course I spent four years in the Navy from 1970 through 1973 and watched practically no television during that time when I was mostly on a ship overseas. It would be many years before I ever saw some of the big hits of the time on a rerun somewhere sometime.

From 1974 through 1978 I was attending Temple University while living in the house on Seymour Street in Germantown with some guys and later with Becky.  We had a small crappy black and white TV set sitting in a little used room. I was always too busy with school and work to be watching television except for occasional sports games. When I was wasn't working or studying I was socializing with friends either out in bars or hanging out in our music room. No TV. 

There were a few exceptions. We did try to watch Saturday Night Live and Monty Python. We also did watch the Roots miniseries in 1977.

I never saw an episode of All in the Family, M.A.S.H., The Brady Bunch, The Odd Couple, Sanford and Son, The Waltons, Kojak, Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie, The Jeffersons, Barney Miller, Three's Company, Laverne and Shirley, Welcome Back Kotter, Fantasy Island, Taxi, WKRP in Cincinnati, etc., during their initial run. Lots of others too. Familiar names but I didn't watch them at the time when they were first fun. I saw a few here and there on cable in later years like WKRP.

But I did watch a few episodes of Battlestar Galactica.

It was weird hearing about a show like All In The Family on the news all the time about being controversial and never seeing it. I've seen clips but to this day I don't think I ever watched a complete episode.

No comments: