Monday, July 15, 2019

Friends Free Library

 

We had two libraries in our neighborhood that were each a few blocks away and an easy walk. One was the regular neighborhood Philadelphia Free Library located in Vernon Park. The Germantown Friends Free Library which was part of the Quaker school in the neighborhood was located a little closer to my home so that was the one I went to as a kid. I really didn't know the difference between the two libraries and had library cards from both of them.

I spent most of my time at the Friends Free Library which had a very good children's area. I have very fond memories of going to this library as a kid and developing my love of books and reading with the help of those wonderful old ladies working there. Eventually that love of books would lead me to a career as both a public librarian and a college librarian. 

Years later I was doing some research on the peace collections Quaker libraries including our Germantown library and discovered that many of those helpful old ladies we loved were convicted felons. As young women many of them were jailed numerous times for anti-war activities during World War I. We never saw their stories in our school history books but the archives at Swarthmore College has extensive resources on the women’s peace movement of WWI.






No comments: