Friday, June 28, 2019

That Teachable Moment

A scan of my clip and a teachable moment episode to share. My new neurologist recently sent me to get an MRI because I had been having some issues but the doctors at the neuro center wanted written proof that my nearly 30 year old metal clip was nonferrous and safe. I knew it was and previously had several MRIs in the 90’s but that is a whole different story concerning the keeping of medical records. Since no one could find the requested info in a timely manner I was sent to another hospital to have a Cat-Scan that was calibrated to determine the density and type of metal clip. 

The young technician there was asking me questions about the metal in my head and had assumed it was from some sort of industrial accident. I started explaining my multiple aneurysms, my clipping surgery and the various scans and procedures I’ve had over the years and of course my family history. Then the tech’s supervisor appeared after having overheard some of the conversation and asked me to start again and explain my background to her. She stopped me after a bit and left the room. She quickly returned with a group of about 7 or 8 technician trainees and asked me to tell my story from the beginning for the group. This went on for quite a while as I described my family history of aneurysms over several generations, the deaths, the numerous surgeries, the family participation in genetic testing studies, my having one of the first non-ferrous clips, my more than 20 scans over the years including angiograms, cat-scans, MRIs, MRAs, CTAs… while the interested students listened in rapt attention. The supervisor thanked me for the information and insights.

A very teachable moment but not the first time something like this has happened over the years. Also, BTW, just got back from dinner with my wife at our favorite sushi restaurant celebrating our wedding anniversary today... 39 years.

No comments: