Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Overstory

The Overstory by Richard Powers, 2018.

I read this wonderful novel over a period of two weeks in August 2018 and it was one of my favorite books of the year. The book is a passionate novel about environment activism and resistance that covers an expanse of American experience with forest going back to antebellum New York up to the late 20th century timber wars in the Pacific Northwest. 

The book is structurally unusual in it's stories of people spread over time and places are working somehow, someway with the forest. The storyline was also unusual. It was sometimes difficult to read but always worth the effort.

Todd had read this book and I saw it at their house where I looked at it intently. Then I got it from the library when we got home.

No comments: