Saturday, October 7, 2017

Busy Day in Mt. Airy

We had a very busy day while visiting Katie, Todd and Henry in Philadelphia. We really like their neighborhood in the Mt. Airy section of the city. I ended the day hanging out with Dan and Todd at McMenamin's Tavern on Germantown Avenue around the corner from their house in Mt. Airy. I spent some time in that bar in the early to mid 1970's. Todd took a picture of me and Dan which I posted on FB and it got a lot of comments from Dan's friends about how much we look alike.

We started the day visiting the Morris Arboretum in Chestnut Hill. I hadn't been there in a while and it was very nice. It is also now run by the University of Pennsylvania and there have been some significant improvements.

Then we went up to Valley Green in the Wissahickon Park which was certainly a blast from the past for me. I spent a

lot of time up there when I was growing up and later as a teenager. And still later yet me and Becky went there all the time when we were living in Germantown. It was very nice to spend some time there with my grandson.

We went back to their house and Henry took a nap. After that we all went over to Earth Bread & Brewery up on the avenue. It was nice to be able to walk up the street to so many nice restaurants. We had a wonderful dinner and some local brews. I had a Gruit which is an ancient herbed ale. Very tasty. Then I had Bette which is there smoked golden ale. Also very good. It was a very family and kid friendly restaurant brewery.

Then we met up with Dan and went to McMenamin's. 

No comments: