Sunday, September 10, 2017

Soul Survivor - Al Green

Soul Survivor: A Biography of Al Green by Jimmy McDonough, 2017

Read this is September 2017.

After reading this biography I have strongly mixed feelings about Al Green now. An amazing singer and performer… an awful nasty person with moments of empathy. He was mostly a cruel person after those hitmaking years and his life was like a tv soap opera drama. He was terrible with women and incredibly cheap with his money. His Christian ministry was a bogus money making attempt after his hits dried up.

Despite that he was an incredible performer and singer in his time. I love his music and even some of the later comeback albums. I guess I could say I was a die hard Al Green fan but it was very painful to read about his personal life.

Al Green albums in my collection:
  • Back Up Train, 1967
  • Green Is Blues, 1969
  • Al Green Gets Next to You, 1971
  • Let's Stay Together, 1972
  • I'm Still in Love with You, 1972
  • Call Me, 1973
  • Livin' For You, 1973
  • Al Green Explores Your Mind, 1974
  • Al Green is Love, 1975
  • Tokyo Live, 1981
  • I Can't Stop, 2003
  • Absolute Best, 2004
  • Lay It Down, 2008

No comments: