Sunday, February 21, 2016

Do No Harm

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery by Henry Marsh, 2014.

Finished reading this in February 2016.

I read this about 27 years after my own brain surgery. Do no harm indeed. I'm glad I didn't read something like this before having my surgery. The author, a brain surgeon, recounts the sometimes agonizing decisions necessary in life and death situations that often occur in even somewhat routine procedures involving neurosurgery. He readily describes the life of a brain surgeon that includes great joys of successful outcomes, harrowing disasters, haunting regrets, moments of black humor and incredible insights into human drama that occur on a daily basis in a busy modern hospital. This was a brutally honest book that I took personally because of the many brain surgeries in our family but also very readable. 

I had a very good relationship with my brain surgeon and he was always very forthcoming as we made decisions concerning my treatment. Fortunately everything went well in my surgery and recovery.  I went on to have a nearly 30 year relationship with Dr. Budny after my surgery because of other multiple aneurysms in my brain that needed to be monitored. I had brain scans done every couple of years and always met with Dr. Budny afterwards for a consultation.



No comments: